Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Why do we run?


Running is beautiful. Like a fine piece of art, a thoughtful collection of words, or music that touches the soul. Sometimes I wonder why I find it so attractive. Perhaps it is the simplicity of it; the ability to put on our shoes, open the door, begin a daily adventure- and return refreshed.


Maybe it has something to do with the fact that despite it's simplicity, training for a particular event is clearly not easy. It requires perseverence, discipline and intelligence. It enables us to make goals and take little progressive steps towards acheiving them. It requires us to find a common bond between our bodies, our hearts and our minds.


Perhaps I run because I find that the human machine is an incredible piece of engineering. We think of putting one foot in front of the other, but in reality it is a complex sequence of events. The integration of muscles, tendons and all of the unique specific cells that must work in unison, is truly remarkable.


Maybe it is the inherent desire to try to reach my potential. If we do something, we might as well do it well. Taking part in a race provides both the ability to compete against ourselves, but also against others. It is a peaceful, healthy battle, after which we look back and share the experience. Some races are unforgettable, some are easy to forget, but all are part of the journey.


During long 2 hour runs I often ponder why I run. Perhaps the best things in life are simple, but not easy to understand. Running has filled my life with many experiences. Now I would like to share the adventure and give back to the community. I believe I can give insights into the pitfalls of training, the ups and downs, the simple joys that are universal. Ideas are free, but their impact can often be too valuable not to share. We are all in this journey together and I would like to help people enjoy the sport as I do. I may be a competitor, but deep down it is the simple beauty of the sport that propels me forward.