Monday, October 11, 2010

Commonwealth performance

Congrats Jaime. A great athlete and nice guy.

Link here

John MacKinnon, Postmedia News · Friday, Oct. 8, 2010

DELHI, India — If the city of Windsor, Ont., needs an ambassador, they need look no further than decathlete Jaime Adjetey-Nelson, who won the gold medal in his gruelling discipline at the Commonwealth Games on Friday night.

After he did, he 26-year-old Adjetey-Nelson wasted little time lauding his hometown to a pair of journalists in the interview area.

“The legs could have really stopped and I could have gone down, but I was chasing that gold,” said Adjetey-Nelson, who laboured noticeably on the final lap of the men’s 1,500-metres, the final indignity decathletes must suffer in their 10-event competition. “I was just thinking, ‘I’m so close to the gold.

“I’m doing this for Windsor back home. You know, it has been a tough few years and they’ve been behind me. My community, my university team. People always ask me if I train in Toronto and I tell them, ‘I’m not four hours south from Toronto, they’re four hours north of me.’

“I’m the big dog and we’re doing it in Windsor, and there’s great things happening there. I want people to know it’s happening in small towns all over Canada.”

Adjetey-Nelson won the decathlon with a total of 8,070 points, off his personal best of 8,239 he set at a meet in the Czech Republic, but over the 8,000-point threshold he just missed attaining when the Canadian Olympic trials were held in Windsor in 2008.

He’ll take it.

“I had the big breakthrough this year,” Adjetey-Nelson said. “Some people didn’t think I could follow it up.

“The calibre of competition I had there (Czech Republic) was a bit more prestigious, you know. I had the world record holder and the Olympic champion, but coming to Commonwealth, it’s all about competing.

“Whoever was here to push me to compete, I wanted to one-up them. I came here for the gold.”

Mission accomplished.